Lee T. Silver
Lee is an experienced trial lawyer who has a long record of obtaining outstanding results for his clients. Lee has successfully handled complex commercial litigation cases of virtually every type over the past 35 years in state and federal courts throughout Michigan and well over a dozen other states. This wealth of experience enables Lee to develop the most effective strategies for achieving his client’s objectives in an efficient and cost-effective manner. His representative clients range from Fortune 500 companies, financial institutions, manufacturers, and a variety of closely-held companies of all sizes to individual business owners, shareholders, executives, professionals, and other individuals. Lee is widely recognized for his success in the courtroom and has received several honors for his work as a trial lawyer, including many that are based on peer review, including the following:
- Listed in “Best Lawyers in America” for Commercial Litigation every year since 2010.
- Named as a Michigan “Super Lawyer” in Commercial Litigation every year since 2007.
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell every year since 1997 (the highest rating possible for legal ability and ethics)
- Selected for inclusion in “Leading Lawyers” for Commercial Litigation and ADR Law
- Selected as a Fellow in “Litigation Counsel of America.”
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation.
- Selected as a member of the Board of Directors of the International Society of Primerus Law Firms
- Selected as a faculty member for the Hillman Advocacy Program.
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Lee has substantial experience serving as local counsel in federal and state courts as he is routinely asked to assist out-of-town counsel in navigating and complying with local rules, procedures, and practices.
In addition to a very busy litigation practice, Lee also has an active mediation/alternative dispute resolution practice. He is a member of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, has been on the approved list of mediators for the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan since 2003, and regularly serves as an Arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association, as well as in private arbitrations. Lee has successfully mediated over 200 cases in state and federal courts throughout Michigan and takes great pride in the fact that an extremely high percentage of the cases he mediates settle as a result of the mediation
Significant Areas of Specialization
- Contract Disputes
- Shareholder and Partnership Disputes, including claims of Minority Shareholder Oppression
- Employment Disputes
- Covenants Not To Compete, Trade Secrets, and Unfair Competition
- Engineering and Construction Disputes
- Defamation and Business Disparagement
- Business Torts, including claims for Tortious Interference, Conversion, and Breach Of Fiduciary Duty
- Real Estate Disputes
- Professional Malpractice involving Legal, Accounting, and Design Professionals
- Commission Disputes, including Procuring Cause Claims
- Constitutional and Civil Rights Claims
- Corporate Governance and Liability of Corporate Officers and Directors
- Complex Commercial Litigation
Bar Admissions & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Grand Rapids Bar Association (Past Chairman of the Bench/Bar Committee; Past Member of the Judicial Evaluation, Finance, and Court Liaison Committees).
- United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- United States District Court for Colorado
- American Bar Association (Litigation, Business Law, and ADR Sections)
- Federal Bar Association for the Western District of Michigan
- American Association for Justice
- Michigan Association for Justice
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms
J.D., Indiana University School of Law, 1984 (First Place, Moot Court Competition; Member, National Moot Court Team; Teaching Assistant in Appellate Advocacy)
B.A., with honors, University of Redlands, 1981